Thursday, November 26, 2009

MC Practical: Family & Communication!

As I have spent quality time with my family over the Thanksgiving holiday I have paid close attention to how they communicate and the new media that they use. Over the break I was around my aunt and my parents the most. Each person has their own cell phone but the house phone is used more than anything. My aunt only uses her phone when she is out of the house but she stays on the house phone quite a lot. She doesn't have texting on her phone so she talks more. My dad does not too much use his cell phone nor does he use the house phone. He is more of a interpersonal communicator. When it comes to communication he doesn't too much use phones. My mom on the other hand has learn to text. So she uses the cell phone every now and then to talk and text but is mostly on the house phone as well. When someone texts her phone she'll text back. So talking and texting is equal with her.


No one in my immediate family is on Twitter or Facebook. You could say that they are technologically declined. No social networking for them. One day this week though my father attempted to search the net to look for some information on something. My mom is a little more computer illiterate then my dad and aunt but they have not yet to make their way to social networking. There are no computers in house besides my laptop when I come home. On Thanksgiving day my aunts son came over to eat. He is 49 years old and he frequents the social networks from time to time and uses his phone to talk, text and download ringtones. He has a Myspace and Facebook page. He doesn't too much change his status or update his page too often though.


Everybody in my house reads the newspaper regular. Especially my auntie and my mom. My dad doesn't read the newspaper that often but you can mostly find him with his reading glasses on and his face in a Tradewind magazine. We use to get the local paper sent to our house but it only comes out on Monday and Wednesday so they stopped getting it sent to the house. My cousin on the other hand, my aunt's son, stays in Alabama and he reads the newspaper everyday. My parents get their intake on whats going on from the news on TV. Over the break my mother listened to the radio. It was a gospel station that had a preacher doing a sermon. But they are always listening to the radio. In my family on my mother and I have iPods. She hardly uses hers though. The last time she did it was over the summer when she went on her daily walks. I use mines more than her though. When it comes to listening to music in my immediate family it is in the car with the cd player or on the music channel on TV.


All in all, the members in my family that I am mostly around the most when I am home are 50 and above. So, they are not really too equipped with the new media. They have cell phones but are not fully using it to it full advantages. My mom and dad know how to text better than my aunt does but my mom knows how to text better than my dad. Like I stated earlier they kind of know how to use the computer but are not internet smart. The only media that is used around this house with them are the TV, the radio, and cell phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment