Thursday, November 26, 2009

MC Practical: Advertisement!


All day I have watched and paid attention to the advertisements on television. Lately all have seen were commercials on the upcoming sales different stores will be having on Black Friday. For example, everyday throughout the week each channel was showing Black Friday sales. Those stores include Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart and even car dealerships. The one I saw the most of was the one for a shoe and clothing store named Okuns. Their sale was buy one, get one half off for everything.

The only newspaper I was able to read while over the break was Monday and Friday--The Panolian, a local newspaper for the Panola County area. There was an advertisement for Treasurer Loans which is a loan company. Another was for Caldwell Insurance, Johnson's Furniture and The Dickins Funeral Home in the Monday paper. There were a lot of diverse ads and markets in the newspaper. From Serta Mattresses to Insurance and Furniture store ads in the Friday paper. Although there was a wide range of ads both newspapers had the same ones. Since I could not come across any other newspapers I went through some magazines like Seventeen and the Cosmopolitan. In the back of the magazines there were a whole two pages of different ads, from Shampoo that will grow your hair longer and thicker in thirty days to stores that sold lingerie.

As for Television commercials and advertisements there was one on the Downy product. Another was Cash4Gold which was offering 25% more cash if you sent in your old jewelry. All this was VH1 while watching Trading Spouses on Monday night. As I was watching Forrest Gump on Spike TV there were commercials advertising JC Penny's and Payless. Majority of the advertisements were for upcoming movies like Precious and Armour which I hear are two great and highly anticipated movies.

I feel that in order to understand and scrutinize media advertising you do not need to be a critical consumer. But I would not like to go into this area in Mass Communication. For the most part as I watched all the advertisements they begin to repeat themselves. Even when I changed the channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment